Fannie May Candies, which has been located at the northwest corner of Roosevelt Road and Park Boulevard for decades, serves an array of the famous confectioner's treats and truffles. Part of this location's uniqueness, says store manager Donna Anderson, lies in its status as a stand-alone store rather than a mall-based shop. The building, which sports the signature red- and white-striped Fannie May awning, gets visited by serious chocolate lovers and people who have pulled into the parking lot just to satisfy a candy craving. The store's most popular selections, Anderson says, include Pixies (pecans drenched in chocolate and caramel) and Colonial Assortment (a mix of buttercreams, toffees, nut clusters and many more Fannie Mae treats). The store also sells cheesecake, cashews, assorted nuts and eight flavors of ice cream to go along with favorites like dark chocolate cherries and milk chocolate circus pops.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 10am - 7pm; Sat, 10am - 6pm; Sun, 11am - 5pm
- Handicap Accessible: Handicap parking spaces and a ramp
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Personal Check, Visa
- Products: chocolate truffles, assortments, nuts, ice cream, cheesecake
- Food & dining options: Kosher, Sugar-free, Vegetarian
- General services: Delivery, Phone orders, Prepared foods, Web orders
- Menu link: www.fanniemay.com/
- Specialties: Pixies, Colonial Assortment
- ATM: No
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: No
- What makes this community special?: "I love the small-city feel" of Glen Ellyn, says store manager Donna Anderson. "But it's so accessible to downtown (Chicago)."
- Frozen yogurt: No
- Number of ice cream flavors: 8
- If this community were a flavor, what would it be?: A Trinidad chocolate truffle, says store manager Donna Anderson. "It's a chocolate, fudgy center with a pastel white coconut coating," she says. "It's an oldie but goodie. It's not as popular as the Pixies and buttercreams, but it's a little surprising."
- Number of candy varieties: 80