This local Dairy Queen in the Pickwick Plaza is a haven in the summer for those seeking a break from the heat. The air-conditioned shop features cheerful orange walls and a dozen red tables. Cake decorator Terry McLaughlin adds a personal flair to the store windows each season with her art.
Gary Mayo, owner of two Glen Ellyn Dairy Queen franchises, has been operating this storefront for eight years. In addition to chilly treats, the employees serve hot dogs, chicken sandwiches and other prepared foods.
- Hours: Daily, 11 am - 10 pm
- Handicap Accessible: The bathroom is handicapped accessible.
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: The store serves Bizzard treats, Dilly bars, Peanut Buster Parfaits, decorated ice cream cakes, dipped cones, sundaes, banana splits, hot dogs, chili dogs and chicken sandwiches.
- General services: Catering, Eat-in, Phone orders, Take-out
- Menu link: www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/eats-and-treats/
- Specialties: Alex Rearick, one of the store managers, estimates the employees can make 50 to 60 different Blizzard combinations.
- ATM: No
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: No
- What makes this community special?: "Just how friendly everyone is," says Alex Rearick, one of the store's managers. "Everyone is easy to interact with."
- Frozen yogurt: No
- Number of ice cream flavors: 3
- If this community were a flavor, what would it be?: "A banana split," says Ben Mayo, a store manager and son of store owner Gary Mayo. "There's a lot of stuff going on, but it's classic."
- Number of candy varieties: 40