Churchill Elementary School
Churchill Elementary School sits on an eight-acre site adjacent to Churchill Park & Nature Center, making it the largest of the four elementary schools in Glen Ellyn School District 41. It's quite multi-cultural as well: 20 percent of its students are in the ENL/Bilingual program and approximately 24 different languages are represented within the student population, including Spanish, Vietnamese, Urdu and Polish.
"Our diversity is one of our strengths," principal Scott Klespitz says. "We have students from all walks of life, and families from all walks of life. It's just a very welcoming place."
Churchill's outdoor facilities provide ample room to exercise and play. There's a large grass field behind the gymnasium as well as three playground sets and an asphalt area that includes four basketball hoops and markings for hopscotch. In addition, the nearby Churchill Park & Nature Center contains native plants, wetlands and a wood-chip trail that leads directly to the school.
- Fax: 630-790-6498
- Hours: Kindergarten: 9am - 11:40am; 12:45pm - 3:25pm. Grades 1 - 5: 9am - 3:25pm
- Handicap Accessible: Reserved parking
- Founding Date: Aug 01 1958
- Number of students: 600
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: Yes
- Accreditation/licenses: Illinois State Board of Education
- Student-to-teacher ratio: Varies by grade, ranges from 20:1 to 27:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 40
- How engaged is the school with the community?: We have a very active PTA that brings in all kinds of opportunities for kids and families to get involved in the community.
- What makes this community special?: It's a very supportive community, with supportive families and supportive school staff. It's just a very nice place to be.
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: Pre-Kindergarten through 5th grade
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Computer lab, Library, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: PTA-led programs include Young Rembrandts, Mad Science, Superstar Karate and Chess Club.