A parent who has the kind of kid who sings in the shower, or for that matter sings anywhere, might want to check out Anima Singers. Once known as the Glen Ellyn Children's Chorus, the organization changed its name to Anima, which means "breath, life, soul, spirit and mind" and also reflects the group's growth beyond Glen Ellyn. Though its offices are still based in the Roosevelt Glen Corporate Center, the children who comprise Anima's choirs come from all over the Chicago area, including Elmhurst, LaGrange, Mount Prospect and Naperville, says Development Manager Nondi Orazi.
Anima places all kids from third grade through high school who want to join, and it does so through a hearing placement that's typically done near the end of August and again toward the beginning of January, though kids can also be placed in the middle of the session. The choirs usually meet twice a week for rehearsals that last about one and a half to two hours. Meeting twice a week is "a big commitment," says Orazi. "So you're really getting an amazing performance. These kids are just amazing. They just love singing."
Tuition ranges from about $775 to $1,000 per year, and financial aid is available. To join or for more information, call 630-858-2471, check out www.animasingers.org or drop by the offices from 9am – 4pm during the week.
- Fax: 630-858-2476
- Hours: Office hours: Mon - Fri, 9am - 4pm; Performance and rehearsal times vary
- Handicap Accessible: Handicap parking spaces
- Ticket information: Check out http://www.animasingers.org
- Buy tickets online [link]: www.animasingers.org
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of students: 200
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: Yes
- Acceptance rate (%): 100
- Music specialties: Blues, Classical, Folk, Jazz, Latin
- Which performer or group that has visited the venue is the most interesting or memorable?: Anima performs all over the Chicago area and in different parts of the country and world. They also perform at the Lyric Opera and with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.