Saturday, Oct. 26
1. This is the premier weekend for haunted houses. Check out this interactive map to locate them. And, here's another nearby haunted house that didn't make our map, at the Glendale Heights Aquatic Center, 240 Civic Center Plaza.
2. Glen Ellyn Kids' Parade in downtown Glen Ellyn. Costumed members of the Glenbard West High School Drum Line will lead the parade, starting at Prairie Path Park, south of the train station between Park Boulevard and Forest Avenue. Children should arrive no later than 9:45 a.m. to line up. No registration is required. Strollers, small wagons and wheelchairs are the only vehicles allowed in the parade, and dogs may not take part. Following the parade, kids can trick-or-treat at participating downtown businesses until 1 p.m.
3. Glen Ellyn Volunteer Fire Company will host a blood drive from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, at the downtown fire station, Main and Pennsylvania. Walk-ins are welcome. Donors will receive a $7 Oberweis gift card. For other Heartland Blood drives, visit www.heartlandbc.org.
4. Anima Young Singers will host a Zombie Zing-Along at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, 393 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn. Wear a costume and come sing with us. It's free!
5. Jenny & the Old House theater performance, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 26 and 27, at Cantigny Park, is recommended for families with children ages 10 and under and is presented by Lake Forest-based Citadel Theatre Company. The light-hearted but "spooky" tale is delivered by professional actors who move about the Cantigny grounds. Tickets are $10 in advance at Cantigny Park, at Cantigny.org or by calling (630) 260-8162. A limited number of tickets are expected to be available on the day of performance.
6. Glenbard West football takes on York High School, 1 p.m. at Glenbard West, 670 Crescent Blvd.
7. Special Abilities Halloween Party at Kaitlin's Hideout, begins at 1 p.m.
9. Drop off Unwanted or Expired Prescription Drugs at the Glendale Heights Police Department, 300 Civic Center Plaza, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 27
10. Glenbard South Baseball benefit concert featuring Hey Jimmy begins at 4 p.m. in the auditorium at Glenbard South, 23W200 Butterfield Road in Glen Ellyn. Tickets are $10, and proceeds benefit the Glenbard South baseball program. To purchase tickets, contact Bob Wrona firstname.lastname@example.org or call (630) 294-3130. For more information, contact coach Michael Riley atMichael_riley@glenbard.org or visit www.gbsbaseball.com.
11. Glen Crest Pumpkin Run at Glen Crest Middle School, 725 Sheehan Ave., Glen Ellyn, begins at 10:30 a.m.
12. A Cure for Maddi, a Hadley Middle School stludent with cystic fibrosis, at Fire & Wine, 433 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn, begins at noon.