.

Catholic School Girl Severely Burned By Hot Coffee In Science 'Program' Gone Awry: Lawsuit

The father of the girl is suing the Diocese of Joliet and St. Joan of Arc school in Lisle.

A pot of hot coffee. Credit: Joseph Hosey
A pot of hot coffee. Credit: Joseph Hosey
A Catholic school girl suffered severe burns when she tripped over a power cord and was scalded with hot coffee during a classroom science program, according to a lawsuit filed in Will County court.

The girl, Ava Lombardi, "suffered second- and third-degree burns," according to the lawsuit, which was brought by her father, George Lombardi.

Third-degree burns are the "most serious burns" and "involve all layers of the skin and cause permanent tissue damage," according to the Mayo Clinic's website.

"Fat, muscle and even bone may be affected," the site said. "Areas may be charred black or appear dry and white."

Lombardi's lawsuit named the Diocese of Joliet and St. Joan of Arc school in Lisle as defendants.

According to the lawsuit, "there existed a dangerous condition in a classroom where a hands-on science program involving the use of a hot coffee pot was being conducted."

"The power cord to said hot coffee pot was left loose on the floor where children, including Ava Lombardi, were free to run and walk, creating a dangerous condition," the suit said.

Ava was "seriously injured when she tripped over the power cord, pulling the hot coffee pot on her and suffered second- and third-degree burns," the lawsuit said.

Go take a look at our Facebook page.
NonShalantAllDay May 02, 2014 at 07:21 PM
Must be the granddaughter of that lady that sued McDonalds for spilling coffee.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »