The blaze remains under investigation and residents at the home were unable to return to the house due to damage caused by the fire, according to the article.
Three firefighters were injured while battling a blaze at a Wheaton home caused by lightning from storms that rolled through the area Wednesday night, according to the Chicago Tribune.
The firefighters were working to ventilate the roof of the residence in the 2100 block of Durfee Road "when they were shocked by electrical lines," according to the article. They were taken to an area hospital and were expected recover.
A neighbor alerted the homeowners and their children who were downstair and unaware of the blaze, which started around 7:45 p.m. in the attic, according to NBC Chicago.
Neighbors told NBC this is the fourth lightning strike in 20 years to a group of homes located on the highest point of Durfee Road.
Lightning is also believed to have caused fires in North Aurora andSchaumburg Wednesday night, according to media reports.
In the North Aurora fire, lightning is believed to have struck the ground outside the home, traveled underground to the clothes dryer located in the first-floor laundry room and ignited the lint in the clothes dryer vent hose, according to the Daily Herald.
No one was injured in the blaze at home on the 200 block of Long Avenue, which started about 7:30 p.m.