And Patch.com knows there are plenty of residents out there willing to lend a helping hand.
With that in mind, Patch.com has looked to volunteermatch.org., a website aimed at bringing "good people and causes together," for volunteer opportunities currently posted for the area. Here is a look at five of those opportunities:
- The Humanitarian Service Project distribute over 23 tons of non-perishable food to needy seniors and families for Christmas and is looking for volunteers to help with various events in coming weeks. The organization will hosting a boxing party 1:30 to 7 p.m. on Dec. 7 at 465 Randy Road in Carol Stream and is looking for help sorting and boxing up donated gifts. A variety of other opportunities to volunteer for The Humanitarian Service Project can be found here.
- The Glen Ellyn Children's Resource Center is looking for volunteers for its after-school literacy and life skills programs at Abraham Lincoln Elementary School, 380 Greenfield Ave. in Glen Ellyn. Volunteers are needed for just one hour a week. Read more on volunteer match.org.
- DuCAP: Providing Positive Choices for Youth & Family Services is looking for volunteers to help organize, assist, develop and/or run programs for youth and/or adults in the Marian Park Apartments, 2088 W Roosevelt Road in Wheaton. Read more on volunteer match.org.
- Meropolitan Family Services DuPage is looking for in-home senior respite volunteers to serve three hours a week and give a family caregiver a much needed break. Read more here.
- The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County is looking for volunteers to work side by side with a site steward to cut brush, collect seeds, plant, etc. Read more on volunteermatch.org. The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County will hold an open house on Jan. 11 and 12, 2014, where residents can learn more about volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Read more here. You can also learn more about a variety of volunteer opportunities available through the forest preserve on the district's website.