And Patch.com knows there are plenty of residents out there willing to lend a helping hand.
With that in mind, Patch.com has looked to volunteermatch.org., a website aimed at bringing "good people and causes together," for volunteer opportunities currently posted for the area. Here is a look at five of those opportunities:
- The DuPage County Health Department is looking for readers to read to clients' children during selected DuPage County Health Department clinic hours while they wait for their appointments. Here is a look at the hours when volunteers are needed: Wednesdays from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m. at the Wheaton Public Health Center, 111 North County Farm Road and Thursdays from 12:30 p.m. until 2:30 p.m., at the Public Health Center in Lombard, 1111 East Jackson Street. Get more information here.
- Metropolitan Family Services DuPage is looking for male volunteers to visit with senior men while the family caregiver takes a break. Help is needed throughout DuPage County. Get more information here.
- World Relief--DuPage is looking for ESL Classroom Aide (English as a Second language) to assist in an adult ESL class. Classes are 2 to 2.5 hours in length in the morning, afternoons and evenings with locations in Wheaton and Aurora. Get more information here.
- The 18th Judicial Circuit Court in Wheaton is looking for volunteers for its court friends group, which consists of visitors who drop in once a month to private homes to ask the ward and guardians a series of questions. Other volunteers check court records and update addresses and phone numbers of the wards and guardians. The volunteer auditors review financial records. Get more information here.
- The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County is looking for DOGEES volunteers to commit four hours a month to maintain dog parks, provide recommendations in weekly reports to improve the area, assist with special events and more. Get more information here.