A gloomy mood Sunday enveloped me till I opened my Congressman Peter Roskam's pre election email. The title alone convulsed me in laughter that lightened my troubled soul:
Americans cannot afford another four years like the last four
Roskam, of course, was making his last minute pitch for electing Mitt Romney as President and Peter Roskam for IL Sixth District Congressman. Yet, here are some of the folks who can afford four more years of President Obama and two years of an IL Sixth District Congresswoman who supports his policies:
- Five and a half million new private sector workers employed by 32 straight months of private sector job growth
- 40 million previously uninsured for health care who are now starting to realize the roll out of benefits that will eventually give them a medically insured future
- Many thousands of folks who are benefiting from the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act which extends opportunity for redress of pay discrimination by unscrupulous bosses
- Millions of gay citizens who finally have a President who has their back in their inevitable and inexorable struggle to gain marriage and sexual orientation equality.
- Hundreds of thousands of soldiers who no longer fear serving another tour of duty in the lost, but mercifully ended Iraq war
- The one hundred sixty million women whose right to reproductive choice and health is being protected by a sensible, compassionate and morally responsible leader
- Two and a half million seniors who are celebrating the closing of George W. Bush's infamous "donut hole" from his Prescription Drug giveaway to Big Pharma in 2003.
- The hundreds of thousands students who will have access to an education from doubling of Pell Grants paid for by ending billions in subsidies to banks
- The millions of American auto and parts supplier workers whose President had the audacity to declare to those cheering on collapse: "Not on my watch"
I could go on but I'm running out of Americans not already accounted for who can afford another four years of President Obama. Funny, I couldn't find a single one, other than Congressman Roskam, who can't. And whenever the blues become my only songs, I'll open up Roskam's pre election email, Americans cannot afford another four years like the last four, and the world will be sunny again.