While Lake Ellyn master plan improvements include plans to revamp and restore the Lake Ellyn Boathouse to it's 1937 design, it'll be open for normal business and rentals in 2013, according to a message on the Glen Ellyn Park District website.
"The recently approved master plan for Lake Ellyn Park does not call for changes to the boathouse in 2013 and will not affect operations or rentals," the message reads.
The boathouse closes mid-December through the end of February and reopens for rentals the first weekend of March. The facility can be rented for weddings and other private parties with seating for up to 120 people.
The park district board in January gave the district the nod to move forward to find funding for improvements included in the plan. The plan was created to “polish the gem” that is the considered the Jewel of Glen Ellyn, Dave Harris, Glen Ellyn Park District director has said. The park district wants to create a template to take the park to the next 100 years.
Built in 1937, the boathouse has been updated in 1959 and between 1960 and 1973. In 1990, the park district updated the roof, doors, mechanical systems and interiors.
According to the master plan, "The first emphasis is to return the Boathouse to its original 1937 historic architecture and design."
Some of the proposed Boathouse alterations include:
- Restoration of the boathouse's west facade by removing the west addition, resurfacing the fireplace and restoring the original shape of the west facade,
- Relocating trash to a new enclosure near the accessible parking,
- Adding a new west entrance,
- A hallway for bathroom access,
- An additional restroom facility (south of the boathouse),
- Roof restoration,
- Courtyard extensions,
- Restoring the original paint color on all wood cladding and trim,
- Picnic pavilion and
- A permanent outdoor performance area.
The estimated cost for the boathouse updates, restroom structure, trash enclosure, picnic pavilion and outdoor performance area is $1.2 to $2 million.
For more information on the Lake Ellyn master plan, click here.
For more information on renting the boathouse, click here.